While you are still in high school
- Take the appropriate college-prep English and math courses;
- Meet with your high school guidance counselor during your junior year to be sure you have the qualifications to enter one of Maine’s public universities.
If you’ve been out of school for a while
- You may be asked to take placement tests to assess your level of skill in English and math and to help you and your advisor determine the appropriate starting point for your first year at the university. The results determine whether you must take one or more remedial courses before beginning 100-level college courses.
- The Accuplacer is a self-paced, untimed computerized placement test that is used by UMA, UMFK, UMM, UMPI, and USM. The College Board publishes The Accuplacer Online Student Guide , and you can practice taking the test at this site:
- (College Board)
- What first-year students need to know to succeed in general education math courses.
Admission Requirements for